Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Asman Photo Prints Historic Images for Window Displays at 20 CVS Stores

Having just visited Eastern Market during my 27 August 2006 Sunday Photo Walk I'd head back to the Eastern Market subway. And while waiting for the traffic light to change at the northwest corner of 7th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue I'd observe, from a distance, that the historic images displayed in the windows of the CVS across the street, on the southwest corner of 7th and Pennsylvania Avenue, were different than those that had been there before.

Having observed similar displays in other CVS stores in the WDC area, in recent years, it was then that I would decide to embark on an ongoing documentary project that would focus on the Historic Images Window Displays at CVS Stores. At a closer inspection, I observed that the enlargements had been the work of Asman Custom Photo Service, Inc.

Having observed that some ... but not all ... CVS Stores displayed historic images in their windows and those that did displayed images that were reflective of the surrounding neighborhood I'd project that the historic images exhibitions were in collaboration with the respective neighborhood historic and/or preservation societies.

A week later, on Labor Day Saturday I'd observe a photo exhibition in the windows at the CVS located just off McPherson Square Park. Images in this exhibition had a more modern feel. While one was a depiction of Franklin Square Park another was of bicycle shadows on 10th Avenue in NYC. After taking a few photos I'd step inside the store and inform the manager of my ongoing project. He would inform me that in most cases, including his store, the window displays were the work of the lessor and that CVS had little, if anything, to do with the historic image displays.

Having visited Saturday night's closing reception of the Ledelle Moe's (Memorial) Collapse installation, on 14th Street, and while engaging in Night Photography I'd head back to the Dupont Circle South Station. Crossing P Street just west of the circle I'd observe, from a distance, that the historic images on display in the windows of the CVS Dupont Circle store were different than those that had been there before.

At a closer inspection, I'd observe that the enlargements were the work of Asman Photos. Barry Asman has printed historic images for more than 20 CVS stores which, according to CVS HQ, has resulted in a 15% increase in sales at respective stores.

No comments: